Indian Head Massage
Indian head massage is a relaxing holistic treatment incorporating the top of the back, shoulders, arms, neck, head and face. It aims to reduce tension and rebalance your body's energies.
Indian head massage is an ancient therapeutic treatment that has been practiced in India for thousands of years, and is incredibly relaxing.
Indian head massage has become a popular component of combined treatments or rituals, including massage and facials.
What is Indian head massage good for?
1. Helps prevent migraines, headaches and back pain. Often tension in the upper back, neck and head can lead to migraines, headaches and back pain.
2. Promotes hair growth. The massage increases nourishment and oxygen to the scalp and hair follicle which in turns stimulates hair growth.
3. Detoxifies the body by stimulating lymphatic drainage. Indian Head Massage stimulates and improves lymphatic drainage and blood flow to the neck thus helping to remove waste products from the body.
4. Relieves sleeplessness, restlessness and insomnia. These are often side-effects of stress and Indian Head Massage will help relieve stress and promote relaxation by tackling the physical symptoms, thus allowing for a deeper sense of wellbeing and relaxation rest.
5. Relieves symptoms of anxiety and depression. Massaging the head encourages the supply of oxygen to the brain which is one of the best ways of reducing anxiety and of lifting one’s mood. Oxygen helps you think clearly and creatively and a similar effect is experienced through exercise.
6. Renews energy levels. An Indian Head Massage works with the Ayurvedic concept which goes beyond the limits of healing and places emphasis on balance. Working on the chakras through Indian Massage has a powerful effect in bringing the energy of the body back into balance.
7. Boosts memory capabilities. Often we have short-term memory difficulties because our brains are overloaded with disorganised thoughts, making it very difficult for us to efficiently ‘log’ and collect thoughts and occurrences. Indian Head Massage slows us down, sensual awareness takes over, thoughts quieten, and awareness is brought to the forefront. Think of it like someone pressing your ‘reset’ button.
What to wear
You should wear loose-fitting clothing, so that you don't feel restricted or uncomfortable. It's a good idea not to have too many layers. For an Indian head massage, the masseur is liable to want to massage your neck and shoulders, even your upper back, so a polo neck is a bad idea, as is complicated or tight-fitting underwear. A cotton v neck or round neck t shirt is recommended. Avoid anything with lycra in it or wool as this can become hot when rubbed on the skin.
Indian head massage is kind to hair; it is not kind to hair-dos. Remove any hair bands, clips or slides before you go in, and book that hair appointment for the day after.
What to expect from an Indian head massage
A complete Indian head massage takes 45 minutes. It is unique in that you are seated in a chair fully clothed. The massage can be performed on a therapist couch if you prefer but traditionally carried out sat in a chair. Oils can be used but equally performed without the use of oil. It is a very versatile and mobile therapy.
MAKE AN APPOINTMENT
T: 07479 636906